JAMES and KATHERINE . . .PLUS TWO INCREDIBLE TEENAGERS AND ONE CRAZY LIFE!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

We're Back!

Thanks to my sister-in-law, Diana for the great pics and my good friend , Nicole for helping me gain the courage to get these pics on this blog for you. Now that the "computer dinosaur of the year" (me) has started her own blog and posted pics on it, I am feeling pretty confident that you will have something to look at as you read my less than entertaining blog entries!


How is that you look forward to a vacation for weeks or even months and then you are home for a few days and it seems like a year since you were gone????? Well . . . that's how it seems after being home only 5 days from our trip to Chicago and Indianapolis.


We had fun! We landed in Chicago to find that it was in the high 50's and did I pack a jacket? NO! It wasn't down right freezing - but the evenings got pretty cold - way colder than I am used to - so I ended up borrowing my brother-in-laws jacket one evening. Thanks, Jack!


Highlights of our trip were:


Dinner at the Chicago Chop House - I enjoyed some nice broiled Orange Roughy while the more carniverous travelers in our group had steaks and prime rib. James kind of paid for his big steak with a little gastrointestinal disorder into the night. I'll stay with the fish - thank you very much!


We had after dinner drinks at the top of the John Hancock building. I am a real chicken when it comes to heights - so going up after dark worked well for me. I think it was the 96th floor - I get dizzy just thinking about being up so high - but the city was beautiful all lit up!


The next day we toured the city on one of those famous "Hop On - Hop Off" City tours. It really did give us a good feel for the city and allowed us to "Hop Off" to see Tyrannasaurus Sue at the Field Museum, see the Sears Tower up close and personal and have one of those famous Chicago Hot Dogs. Since I am not a real big hot dog fan I didn't really get what was so appealing about them - but I think James and Jack found them to be pretty delicious!


Diana and Jack arranged for us to have a tour of old Wrigley Field - for those of you who are not baseball fans - it is where the Chicago Cubs play. It was fantastic. I think they said it is the second oldest ballpark in the US - Yankee Stadium being the oldest. Anyway - it was really a great tour. We even got to tour the clubhouse and see the current players locker room.


On to Indianapolis - where we stayed at the Quality Inn - a rather old tired Quality Inn. We laughingly said it was where they put the Q in Quality. It worked out well for proximity to the Speedway and we had an enjoyable day at the race. This year the weather was quite nice and all 200 laps were completed.


We went back to the Indy Speedway the next day and took a 12 minute spin around the track in a small tour bus. We got to see the track from the drivers vantage point at about one tenth the speed. We also visited the Speedway Museum which is very interesting - especially if you like looking at old race cars!


As always the highlight of the Indy trip for me is spending time with my relatives. We all went over to Deb and Dave's for a dinner and generally just spent three hours "catching up" with family news. We missed Erin, Bret, and Grant this year -but really enjoyed meeting Bret's parents. Now I see where Bret gets his humerous side.


See you next year, Indy - hopefully with 2 or 3 kids in tow!

1 comment:

Nicole M said...

I love those pictures, you and James should get into the photography business, you would make billions! Great job!